FPU’s Commitment to Safety
Like any other type of appliances, propane appliances must be maintained properly. At Florida Public Utilities, safety is our number one priority, mission and investment. Not only is our emergency team on duty 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week, but we take ongoing measures to maintain our solid safety record, as well as overall industry integrity.
- Visual inspection programs
- Design and construction techniques
- Continual workforce training
- Industry safety practices and government oversight
- Regularly testing emergency procedures and communications
- Public education programs
- And more!
What You Can Do
While gas leaks and related incidents are rare, please do the following to ensure your safety.
- Have your propane appliances installed and maintained by a preferred FPU Energy Partner or a licensed gas contractor
- If you choose to install your gas appliance(s), check the local codes and closely follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Operate appliances according to their instructions and intended purpose (Do not use a range to heat a room, etc.)
- Know how to sense possible danger and be able to recognize the ‘rotten egg’ smell that could potentially indicate a gas leak