Natural Gas Safety
At Florida Public Utilities, safety is our number one priority, mission and investment. Not only is our emergency team on duty 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week, but we take ongoing pro-active measures to maintain our solid safety record, as well as overall industry integrity.
- Visual inspection programs
- Design and construction techniques
- Continual workforce training
- Industry safety practices and government oversight
- Pipeline markers and facility mapping
- Regularly testing emergency procedures and communications
- Public education programs
- And more!
What You Can Do
While natural gas leaks and related incidents are rare, please do the following to ensure the best-possible safety.
- Have your natural gas appliances installed and maintained by a preferred FPU Energy Partner
- If you choose to install your natural gas appliance(s), check the local codes and closely follow the manufacturer’s instructions
- Operate appliances according to their instructions and intended purpose (Do not use a range to heat a room, etc.)
- Know how to sense possible danger and be able to recognize the ‘rotten egg’ smell that could potentially indicate a natural gas leak
FPU Emergency Response is Available 24/7.
Please leave the area and call 800.427.7712 immediately if:
- You smell a distinct rotten egg odor
- Your natural gas system is damaged in any way
- A natural gas pipeline has been damaged