Florida Public Utilities Scam Alerts
With Florida Public Utilities scam alerts, stay informed about the latest scams targeting energy consumers. Plus, get the specific head’s up you need to recognize potential scammers, and important guidelines that will help you act accordingly.
Protect Yourself From Scammers
Protect yourself from scammers. The first step to protecting yourself is to recognize suspicious activity. New and common scams include impersonators who:
- Pretend to be from your utility. (Your caller ID might even display the name of your utility)
- Threaten to turn off your utility service unless you act immediately
- Demand immediate payment – often by prepaid debit card
Ways To Protect Yourself
FPU may contact you regarding a past due bill. To avoid being the victim of a potential scam, we recommend that you ask the caller two or more questions pertaining to your bill that only an FPU Representative would know. For example:
- What is my account password? (If you have not registered one with us, we recommend you do so for safety reasons)
- What were my last two bill amounts?
- What was the amount of my last two “meter reads”?
- What forms of identification did I use to start my service?
How To Respond To Suspicious Activity
If you believe you’ve encountered scammers posing as FPU employees, or involving the name and likeness of another utility company, please take the following steps:
- Hang up the phone, or close the door
- Call your utility company’s direct and verified phone number. You can find this number on your utility bill, as well as the company’s website
- Do not give the caller or visitor a prepaid card, a wire transfer or any other form of payment that may be difficult for law enforcement to trace
- Ignore suspicious requests for personal information, such as bank account numbers, user names and passwords, credit card numbers, and Social Security numbers
- Delete and block any emails from utilities that are not your service provider
- Delete all suspicious emails that require immediate action to verify or provide personal information
Report Fraud Or Scams
If you have been the victim of a scam, please contact us by calling 1.800.427.7712. You can also contact the authorities listed below:
- Federal Trade Commission (File A Complaint Online. Or Call 1.877.382.4357)
- Your Local Police Station
- Your State Attorney General’s Office
Our Customer Care Call Center is now open from 7:00am-7:00pm.
To reach an FPU Representative, call 800.427.7712.