How To Sense Danger
While propane is naturally odorless, a ‘rotten egg’ odor is added so you and your family can easily detect even the smallest leak. Teach everyone in your home or business to recognize this ‘rotten egg’ smell and take the following steps should someone suspect a leak:
- Clear your home or business immediately.
- Once safely outside, call 855.583.4973 to report a leak. (Or dial 911 once safely outside if you sense a more serious emergency)
- Use a cell phone or telephone until securely outside the location
- Smoke, light a match or do anything else that may cause a spark
- Turn on or off any electric switches
- Ring the doorbell or open any garage doors
- Turn off the gas supply at the tank, but only if you can do so safely
Visual and audible signs may also indicate that a gas leak has occurred. If you notice any of the following, please take the steps outlined above.
- Blowing dirt, bubbling creeks/ponds or dead vegetation in an otherwise green area
- Hissing sounds near a gas appliance or line
If You Run Out Of Gas
If you run out of propane, be sure and take the following steps:
- Turn off all the control valves on all of your gas appliances
- Call FPU at 855.583.4973 to arrange for a delivery and to inform us that you are out of gas
- Make sure that you are present at the time of the delivery so an FPU Representative can relight your pilot lights and inspect your appliances before double-checking the needed safety controls and piping system
Please Note: FPU is required to perform a leak test before refilling an empty tank to ensure the integrity of your propane piping system. Do not attempt to turn the gas back on yourself; FPU will do so for you.